DjTranz’s Directorial Review
The Book of Eli
Synopsis: A Lone man fights his way across America in order to protect a sacred book that holds the secrets to saving humankind.
· Stunts were great.
· Fight sequence well coordinated
· Expert firing and shooting scenes.
· Professional Blade handling.
· Well controlled explosions.
· Very Good angles
· Non-shakey shots.
· Good P.O.V shots.
· Good Environment picturization.
· Awesome camera technique (During Gattling Gun firing and gun-fights)
· Great close-up to the eyes (When Danzel speaks out the words of bible in the end).
· Must watch the camera movement, when Mila Kunis strangles the man in the car.
· And when Mila Kunis throws the grenade towards the car.
· Great town settings
· Beautifull after-world environment.
· Dusty Roads and Deserts.
Sound and Music:
· The Music was touching when they’re shaving and cleaning up Danzel (in the end)
· The background music was great; it follows the story strongly.
· The sound effects and music matches the entire story.
· “Just can enjoy the movie, even with our eyes closed” ~ Pesonal Opinion (DjTranz)
· When Gary Oldman shoot’s Danzel in the Desert area, The sound tech was awesome.
Story and Storyline:
· Story was strong by nature
· Great storyline and story-telling.
· Beautiful narration when required.
· Well mannered story telling.
· Beautiful Climax
· Beautiful ending.
· It was great inner feeling, unexplainable when get know “Eli was Blind” by storyline.
Script and Writing:
· Speechless and uncomment-able.
· Poetic, just like from the bible.
· “ It’s not just a book”
· “He who holds it can control all”
· Beautiful lines.
· “ask him, you shall receive” (it was behind television)
· When Danzel starts walking after getting shot.
· When in the end we realize that Danzel was blind all along.
· Final scenes of Gary Oldman trying to open the bible and Danzel start talking about it.
· Have to give credits to costume designers.
· A job well done.
· When they’re (Danzel&Mila) driving and getting closer to ocean scene; the mountains scene just reminds me personally similar scene from ‘Lord of the Rings’ (Mountains of Horse lord – Rohan), and also a final scene from Will Smith’s ‘I Am Legend’. ~ Pesonal Opinion( DjTranz)
· ‘Eli’ by Denzel Hayes Washington Jr. – Great and he was born to do this; Superb acting. His objective.
· ‘Carnegie’ by Gary Leonard Oldman – Great as well. Born to do this role; his trust for books and knowledge.
And success goes to all especially,
· Directors Hughes brothers and the team.
· Gary Oldman.
Poetic Ending; Great Movie; I personally give ‘A+’ and 9/10.
~ DjTranz Prabu